One of my favorite places in the world!!!

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Finally on Vacation!!!!

Yes, we made it to Mexico!  I take Bonine (meclizine) for motion sickness while flying and I think it made me really sleepy. But I will get to that when I get to that point in my timeline.  :)

I had thought we would leave home about 5pm.  We actually left at 7pm, so not too bad. We drove to Chicago for a non-stop flight, stayed in a hotel, left our car at the hotel and they dropped us off at the airport.  So for the cost of one night in the hotel, we park our car free and get a ride to the airport.  Very nice.  On the way to Chicago we played a little game, 'Did you Bring?'  As we drove, we began to ask if we remembered to bring certain things.  Passports, extra cash, etc...  I realized I forgot my hair comb - small thing.  Fred thought he left the extra cash at home on his dresser or in the pants pocket that he put in the laundry.  Ooops.  Then he remembered he did pack a second pair of pants and those were the ones.  Yes, we had the cash.  Whew!  I put the passports in our carryon bag the day before and remembered the Bonine this time so I didn't have to get something on the way - AGAIN.

We got the to hotel by 10:30pm, checked in, settled in the room.  verified our flight time - 8:20am.  Be at airport by 6:00am. Drats.  The hotel wanted us ready to go 1/2 hour before that. 5:30.  We were up at 4:30 to shower, dress and go.  Glad I brought my protein shake, because there is no hotel breakfast at that time, besides it would have been all carbs anyway.  So much for sleep. 

It was interesting in the hotel lobby, though.  The hotel clerk was from India, the shuttle driver was hispanic.  Another couple had some sort of British accent and one gentleman was obviously from Africa.  All spoke English, but they had a hard time understanding each other with their native dialects.  It was pretty funny.  We just smile and enjoy the simple amusement of it all.  :)

We did get some breakfast at the airport at 6:30.  Check in and through security went smooth - just have to be patient.  Amazing how many women travel at that time of day in full make-up.  I am not one of those.  Flight left about 20 min late, but we did not see one snowflake before leaving, so we missed the storm and absolutely no flight delays.  Yippeee!

We got exit row seats on the plane, which was great for leg-room, but no reclining of the seats.  I was almost asleep on take-off and slept a good portion of the flight.  We landed in Cancun at noon, right on time.  The arrival paperwork was not the English version, but Spanish and they did not hand out any customs forms.  They did have a copy of a form in English so we did have a cheat sheet.  It took an hour to get through the airport.   Another funny story, though.   We finally made it to the baggage carousels and the Mexican authorites were taking a 'drug' dog around all the people and baggage.  It stopped at the carryon bag of an older lady. The dog sniffed and wanted into her bag licking its chops.  So the Authorities opened her bag and looked through it.  She had brought some store-bought sausages with her.  They looked similar to pepperoni, but I have no idea what kind.  I felt bad for her, but we were amused at the obsurdity of it all.  Then a woman standing next to me says, "That gives new meaning to 'hide the sausage'."  It was all I could do not to fall on the floor laughing.  The lady with the sausages did not get to keep them and we figure the dog got the eat them on break.

It is an hour+ van ride to the hotel and I slept again on the way there.  Fred said it was a better ride than the one last year in a taxi.  I'll We had dinner and I took another nap after dinner.  We were supposed to have a concierge level hotel room when we checked in, but did not.  So we changed rooms just before dinner.

Yesterday, we upgraded our membership from Palace Resorts to Hard Rock Hotels and got a Presidential suite.  Yup, been here 2 days and in our 3rd room.  The hotel we are staying in will become the Hard Rock Riviera this fall and we want to be able to continue to come here.  Should be exciting.  Let me tell ya, this suite is amazing.  Before we just had the one room with a jacuzzi, bed, small desk, dresser, bathroom and closet.  Now we have two bathrooms, dinning room, livingroon, bedroom, and a sort of kitchen(no stove, but a microwave), a huge patio, ocean view, a pillow menu and we can have aromatherapy scents in the room.  Yup, like this a lot.  :)

Yesterday I went to the yoga class - great workout.  We were all sweating 15 min into it.  No yoga today, but there is a body sculpting class at 10.  Tomorrow will be kick boxing.  Should be fun.

Have a great day! And I think the sun is trying to come out.  Had rain in the night and first thing this morning.

Love ya,
Bren

No comments:

Post a Comment