One of my favorite places in the world!!!

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Moving Forward . . .

This was a new recipe I tried today.  Chicken Pastel (I know the recipe below says turkey, but I used what I had).  Turned out pretty good.  I will add it to my cookbook.  I used to have lots of cookbooks, but they take up lots of room.  So, I copied the one, two or maybe 3 recipes that I used out of each, got some clear plastic pages, put them in a 3-ring binder and made my own cookbook.  Now there are only recipes that I use in it.  A recipe does not get added until I try it out.  I took all the recipe books to good will and hopefully someone else will get good use of them.


The funny thing with the new recipes I am trying is the story of how I got them.  I went to the dump Saturday and we also have recycling there.  I was putting stuff in all the big dumpsters to sort the papers, tin, plastic, etc... when the two old guys who help out every Saturday pulled an old metal recipe box out of the Mixed Paper dumpster.  They looked through it and figured that if either of them took it home their wives would be finding all sorts of recipes - which they figured they didn't need.  They asked me if I would like to take it home.  I said, 'OK' as I am game for new recipes.  There weren't any old family recipes in the box, just several sets of recipe cards from some recipe card program where they send you a new bunch every 6-8 weeks.  This Turkey Pastel is the first recipe I tried.  It turned out well and we liked it, so I will add it to my binder.  It was also very inexpensive and quite easy to make.  I did not tell anyone that it has cottage cheese in the crust, but you would never know that it did.

Bry is doing much better and enjoying being pregnant (except for the heart stuff).  I will try harder not to let my thoughts run away on me and be a better cheerleader for her.  She found a great deal on a crib today and got the 'nursery' cleared out yesterday so it isn't a storage room anymore. 

Gwen is getting settled once again in Texas as she waits for Greg to return from his deployment, which should be in a week or two.  On Saturday she went to a going away cookout for a few people in Greg's unit that are deploying this week.  It was very windy and they had used coolers and 20# weights to help anchor a tent in the backyard.  A big gust of wind came, picked up the tent which sent those items flying.   A 20# weight hit Gwen on the left side of her face and shoulder.  Didn't knock her out and she didn't even go to see a doctor until Monday.  I absolutely insisted.  Nothing is broken.  She has some deep bruises and a mild concussion.  Ice and ibuprofen will help lessen the discoloration and any swelling.  She was concerned that the Dr wouldn't believe her story and think she was beaten.  This one brought me to tears and I was so ready to get on a plane.  The thought of her being alone right now and injured was a lot for me to deal with. 

She is OK and I did not get on a plane.  All I can do is put my children's lives in Heavenly Father's hands.  Which, really, is all I have ever been able to do.  Just not used to doing it from a distance.  I am working to be a positive voice in their lives and give lots of encouragement.

Today, I can do that! 
Have a great week!
Love ya, Bren

No comments:

Post a Comment