One of my favorite places in the world!!!

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

To start, and for the record, this is not my favorite day of the year.  I have long struggled with this day.  I don't feel like I have ever truly been that great of a mother.  Didn't mean that I didn't try awfully hard sometimes, but just somehow, I miss the mark of being a great mother.  I am improving my attitude, though.  I will share some things that I have learned over the last 3 decades about motherhood.

I recently purchased a book by DeAnne Flynn "The Mother's Mite".  This looks at motherhood from the view of the "Widow's Mite" in the new testament.  This widow was paying her tithes in the temple, but it was only a very minute amount (less than half a penny by today's standards) and it was 'all that she hath'.  She gave it willingly and with her whole heart fully trusting God would provide for her future.  The Mother's Mite is similar.  We give little things to our children, but we give them in love and selflessness.  You see, it isn't the grand ponies for birthdays, a 20 year journal for each of our children, or a new car on the 16th birthday, or all the outward wealth in the world that makes women special to children.  I say it this way because not all women get to be mothers, but all women mother children/youth/relatives/even each other in some way that benefits the whole world.  I am very grateful to all the women who have given great meaning in my life.

Here are some 'mites' given on my behalf: (not a complete list by any means!)
   I have a mother that taught me the meaning of 'family'.  "It doesn't matter what they say or what they do, they're family and you forgive them.  Nothing can take the place of your family".  I remember her waking me up in the morning to, 'Rise and shine, sleepyhead'.  She did it every day.  What better way to start the day than hearing your mother's cheerful voice?
  I have a grandmother who taught me great faith.  She believed for 4 or 5 decades that Grandpa would quit drinking and smoking.  She never quit believing, expecially in times when it was so far from happening everyone else doubted, even thougth it impossible.  He quit both before he passed away and she lived to see it.   She also knew life existed beyond the grave.  We all know Betty Jean and Larry because she kept them alive to us and made them a continual part of the family - they died as toddlers long before I was even 'twinkle'.  I know I will know them when we meet on the other side of this life, because she introduced us here.
  I have another grandmother who I was rather afraid of as a little girl.  I used to make my sister go ask her for the two cookies we could have when we visited.  She had a contagious laugh, but she always meant what she said.  No goofing off at her house.  Now as an adult, I appreciate her.  I understand more of her life by gathering the information about her 16 children and the family she came from.  Being one of her decendants, I am honored to be counted one of hers.
   I had a wonderful track coach in high school who helped me see I could choose the lifestyle I wanted to live.  She gave me great confidence and support to be able to withstand the pressure of being a good athlete and compete at my best.
  I could go on and on.  May you each find the 'mite' about a woman you know loves you and treasure it forever.  You will see that it really is the small things that matter.

Love Ya,
Bren

No comments:

Post a Comment