One of my favorite places in the world!!!

Sunday, March 6, 2011

March already!!!!

Winter is almost done.  The temps are slow to rise here up north, though.  So many things to get done, yet again.  The 3 kids at home are busy preparing for Solo & Ensemble performances.  I am so amazed they are willing to sing in front of a judge and be critiqued.  Something I could never have done at their age.  Next Saturday is the big day with 10 events I will try to get to.  I help out in the morning, but haven't missed a performance yet when helping out.  Almost all the parents help and we all work together to see that we can watch our kids perform.  I will get to see some awesome performances.  There is definitely a lot of gifted youth in the world.  I hope they all continue to find a way to keep music in their futures.

Alexa found her dress for Prom the very first day we even looked.  It is a strapless dress, sequined and beaded bodice, the color is called ocean but it is a deep aqua blue/teal.  Ocean is the color of the waist band, which is about 5-6" wide. The skirt is just a little off-white with big ocean colored flowers all around the hem working up to the waist.  There are glittery jewels on the flowers - just a scattering, though.  The waist band laces up the back with the same ocean colored ties.  I was able to find fabric to match the off-white and made the 1 1/2" wide straps for the dress today and they are all attached and ready to go.  Next I will make a fabric piece to put behind the lacing so no bare skin is showing.  I really wish the designers would realize that parents and even the girls don't like to be so exposed.  People buy them because that's what's for sale.  Most people aren't handy enough to sew alterations, add sleeves or straps.  I did try to talk her into a little bolero jacket, but no such luck.  Anyway once I have the placket (I thnk that's what it is called) piece for behind the lacing done, the final step will be to hem it.  What I will really be doing is removing the skirt from the bodice and re-attaching it lower on the skirt.  There are so many layers to the skirt and the hem is just a finished edge that it would be very difficult to get them all even and sewn with a professional look.  There will be challenges with the process, but fewer than cutting the hem.  I did take a look at it and am hopeful that one straight stitch will do the trick; especially since we are talking at least 5 inches shorter.  I will post a picture when it is all done.

The cheerleaders performed their last stunting routine of the season on the 3rd.  It was an incredible routine. The two stunt guys on the team and extra guy helped.  They certainly do have what it takes to compete with a stunting routine at regionals.  They have lots to look forward to next year.  I am helping organize a group of the cheerleaders that want to learn tumbling for next year.  There are several cheer/gymnastic places in Green Bay.  Starting the tumbling as a beginner is really nice because at least one place has a set night for an hour, no long-term agreement, you can show up or not just a small fee for each time you show up.  A few girls are interested. It will be fun to see what the girls can do.  One of the families is going to post their routine from Thursday online and when they do, I will add it here.

Have a great week, be creative and keep cheering for all the good things in your life!!!!

Love ya,
Bren

No comments:

Post a Comment