One of my favorite places in the world!!!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Busy, busy weeks

Wow, has it been over a week since my last post?  Amazing!!!!  Saturday the 12th was District Solo & Ensemble festival for our band and choir students.  I was at the high school all day.  I volunteered in the morning and helped coordinate the events in one of the rooms.  My own kids, Alexa, Megan and Scott had 10 events that day.  They all did very well and I only missed seeing one event.  I am so impressed with all the students who participated - I could never have gotten up in front of others, especially a judge and been critiqued on my performance at that age - or any age!!!  Alexa's madrigal group is going on to State as is her vocal jazz group.  She performed 'Popular' from the musical Wicked and is going to State with that solo.  It was amazing!  Yes, I am a little biased, but it was really, really good.  The dress was perfect, too.

I found Megan's camera last night.  Here's the story. . .  For Christmas of 2009, she was given a digital camera.  She had it until her birthday in March 2010.  It is somewhere in the world, we just have no idea.  We do know that it is in a coat pocket, because the liner coat to the 3-in-1 Columbia coat is now lost, too.  No one has any idea where that ever went or was left.  Meg went the rest of 2010 without a camera and she was trying to save for a new one, but that's hard when you don't have a job.  Last year we sent Scott to the National Boy Scout Jamboree and Alexa gets quite a bit spent on her for cheerleading, but what does Megan have?  Not a whole lot that costs us anything.  So at Christmas-time this past winter, I bought her a new digital camera.  She didn't get it as part of Christmas, but I gave it to her the week after.  She cried and was so happy.  I let her know that it was because she was doing so well adjusting to high school, and being very good at home.  All was well until Super Bowl weekend.  The camera was not to be found.  She looked high and low, every nook and cranny in her room, the house.  She remembered what she last took pictures of, but not where she set it after that.  I called the school bus dept -not there either.  Monday evening I had a thought to look under the livingroom sofa, but it was almost 10pm - too late to mess with a vaccuum & moving furniture.  So Tuesday night Scott & I moved the furniture, one piece at a time, cleaned up the garbage and vaccuumed.  The last piece to be moved was the big sofa and ta da!!! There was the camera.  I think she cried again.  :)  Yup, I am the keeper of people, stuff and schedules.  7 weeks later, the camera is once again in her hands.  I think she will be more careful where she sets it down. She was right about the last photos taken and that it was in the house.

I don't rush to replace things that are damaged or lost.  The kids don't truly learn to take care of their belongings unless they feel the pain of the loss.  I am really glad when they're found or fixed.  Also, the really, really important things in this life are not things.  They are people and character - stuff you can't buy.  Perspective isn't something you can buy either.  Losing a 'thing' helps us see what matters most and not get caught up in 'stuff'.

May you always see what's truly important in your life. . .
Love ya,
Bren

No comments:

Post a Comment