One of my favorite places in the world!!!

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Back In the Swing

Well,  the kids are back to school -2 of them anyway.  So far so good.  Meg is enjoying her driving license and we give her opportunities to drive a few places and run some errands, but not too far just yet until she is more comfortable with the whole thing.  She passed the behind the wheel test on the second attempt, which was good because the tester emphasized the same things I tried to tell her.  It was also humbling and made her pay much more attention while on the road.
   Scott is busy with Cross Country, joined the musical (The Music Man), joined Student Council and still wrapping up with Scouts.  Last week he was in a Cross Country race when he came upon a runner passed out on the course.  He stopped to be sure the guy was breathing and help him finish the race.  It took about 10-15 seconds to bring him around and another runner from a different team also stopped to help him out.  Scott was recently certified in CPR and knew what to look for and what to do.  Yes, he really is a Boy Scout.  He came that way, I can take no credit other than encouraging him to stay as good as he is.
  Alexa is still working on her room.  Getting it cleaned out, packed for storage and packed for heading out west.  She is really excited to stay with Bry, Mark and Korbin until January when she heads to school in Idaho.  Nervous for school, though.  She will do fine.  The hardest part to live through will be having her wisdom teeth out on Monday.  I am taking 2 days off of work to be nearby if she needs anything.
  I bid on a Cricut Create on Ebay and then read the description more closely.  It said 'heavy usage and door hinge is broken, but works."  Oh, great.  Of course, I won the bid on that one.  I was apprehensive about it coming, but decided to try to make the best of it - there was a 30 day return policy so I did have an out.  It arrived and actually looked in good shape, except for the door problem.  It didn't look broke, in fact, upon closer examination, it was not attached to the hinge bar.  Didn't look like it ever had been.  I pried the two pieces apart just enough to fit over the hinge bar and slipped it on.  Prefect!  Looks like new.  There was no cutting mat or cartridge so I picked those up at Michael's Craft store.  I was all set to see if it really did work, when I discovered that it did not have a blade or the housing for the blade.  Back to ebay to find a 'Buy It Now' cheaply priced set.  Found one, paid for it, waited a few days, dropped it in when it arrived and everything works great!  When it was all said and done it cost $100, but that is a lot cheaper than one brand new, so I still feel like I got somewhat of a deal.   Now to find the time to use it.   :)
   The weather has been so nice and feels like a perfect way to end the summer.  I really don't want to wear shoes and long pants just yet, but those days are getting closer.  I did some sewing for the girls - adding a few inches of fabric to the hems of dresses and skirts - I don't understand why stores can't sell them long enough.  Most girls really do want longer dresses and skirts.

Have a great start to Fall!!!!

Love Ya,
Bren

No comments:

Post a Comment