One of my favorite places in the world!!!

Friday, August 24, 2012

End of August??! Already????

My apologies on being lax in posting.  My 'giddy-up and go' went somewhere else far, far, away this summer.  I have learned that I wasn't the only one plagued with this type of event.  I do not know if it was the tremendously long stretch of warm, humid weather; if my battery was just that empty; or too many things going on to get motivated to do anything.  Lots of people I have talked to (and believe me - I can talk and talk and talk) were all suffering the same lack of umph.   I tried 3 times to get busy with the P90X and am doing OK on this last attempt.
    I got discouraged because that wonderful genetic stamp across my gut surfaced AGAIN.  Which stamp would that be?  the one that says, "Inflate to 40 lbs".  YUCK, YUCK, YUCK.  It takes a lot of umph to want to even begin the workouts again.  Here's what I don't get - I feel really good when I do workout.  My strength improves, flexibility and even my innards seem to feel great.  So why wouldn't I want to workout - like all the time?    I never have a want of things to do, there is always, ALWAYS things to be done.  I want to keep my flexibility - which I was losing at an alarming rate two years ago.  I like a wide range of motion and who knows how long I will be able to keep that.  Another reason for participating in the Badger State Games - as long as I can - I will.  After being back at it for the 3rd week, I feel my strength back.  Mondays are usually the push-up, pull-up days.  So I counted how many push-up I did on the 20th.  71!!!!  I feel rather impressed with myself.  There are 6 kinds I do, but that is the total of all of them.  Not bad for a grandma!
   So what has been keeping me busy?  The kids, work and the mundane house stuff.  Fred planted not one, but two gardens this year and everything did very well.  Here's what we've either frozen or canned so far - no, we are not done yet:
      22 Qts Dill pickles
      67 Bags Green Beans (varying amounts in each bag)
      21 Bags Green Peppers (varies also)
      5   Bags Broccoli
      6   Bags shredded Zucchini
      14 Qts Green Beans
      24.5 Qts Spaghetti Sauce
      14.5 Qts Plain Tomatoes
      24 Pts Salsa
      7   Qts Salsa
      7   Qts Stewed Tomatoes (has green peppers and onions in it)
      35.5 Bags Corn (3.5 c in each bag)
      21 Qts Tomato Soup
      7   Pts Pizza Sauce

The broccoli, pickles, green beans, and corn are done.  We might do one more batch of something tomato.  The carrots are next and will be canned.  The bags are vaccuum seal bags that last for a long time.  It is a lot of work now.  However, in January, February and March when we want some summer - these will taste absolutely wonderful.  There are also potatoes, which we've eaten a few.  Just not sure how we will store those.
    All this work wears one out.  One evening we did 13 Qts tomato soup and went to bed about 12:15 - 6am came awfully early the next day.

Alexa has worked at the cheese factory this summer and her last week in next week. Scott has begun cross-country and ran his first race yesterday as a Freshman.  It was very humid and he forgot his inhaler.  He finished in the middle, but was the first freshman from our school to finish and he felt good about his time and placement.  Megan took her road test for her driver's license and didn't pass on the first try.  Tuesday she tries again, I hope it goes well.

I have tried to do some cleaning here and there around the house, but it is a huge project overall.  A little at a   time will have to be enough.  Trying to clear off my craft/scrapbook counter in the store-room so I can get back at the kids' scrapbook/photo albums.  I can report some progress has been made.

Gwen is back in Texas and has their rental house about ready for Greg to come home.  He will be back stateside in mid-September.  The cats adjusted well to the new home.  She starts school next week and that will keep her busy.

Tim is finishing up his things getting ready to head to Texas to Gwen's the end of September, just after Alexa leaves for Utah. Yes, I will have kids scattered about the country.  My retirement plan is to live with each one for a month or two, then on to the next one's house.  So far, they are all OK with that plan and I like to travel.

Have a great week!  May Autumn be a welcomed guest in all our homes!!!!!  The cooler air feels wonderful.

Love Ya,
Bren

No comments:

Post a Comment