One of my favorite places in the world!!!

Saturday, June 2, 2012

AWOL - So Sorry

OK, ever have those times when you think things are under control, but you soon realize you were completely mistaken?  Oh, just been there for, obviously, over a month.  My life really has not been my own.  Then, when I think I can sit down and catch up on my blog, it is no longer compatible with my web browser.  UUUgghhh!!!!  What a frustration.  I have that figured out now and even have some time to update.


Work - been busy, but loving only working 4 days a week.  Some weeks I am there 5 days, but 2 are half days and that rocks, too!  I can also work all 5 days and bank the day off.  Very flexible.    I still need to spend time on the office books at home, but I should be able to find some time for that now, too.


Scouts - The Eagle Project is COMPLETE!!!!  Whoo Hoooo!!!!  It took 125 hours in total for everyone's time.  My time put in was almost as much as Scott's because he isn't old enough to drive and so I could count my time as well to drive him for collecting donations and getting everything set up at the Humane Society.  It really turned out well.  The Humane Society loves the exercise pens for the dogs.  Scott did well on the fundraising part, but in the end he was about $400 short.  It would have been almost even up except the fence company that helped needed to cover their materials cost and gas to bring up their equipment.  They had all the right tools to get it begun and completed in two Saturday mornings.  It was amazing how fast it went.      Both of the scout troops are busy, but Scott has been in track and not able to participate as much in scouts during March, April and May.  We were grateful we found time to get the Eagle project done.  


Track - Megan had a very good season earning her 2nd varsity letter.  She went to the Sectionals meet in the 4 X 2 relay (4 runners complete 2 laps, so each does a 200).  One of the relay team pulled a groin muscle during her individual 200, so the relay team did not do as well as they would have hoped.  She also enjoyed participating in the 4 X 1 Relay, 200m, some long jump and some high jump.
         -Scott had a very good season as well.  He did very well in the Discus with his personal best being 113'4".  He actually did well in what ever event they put him in.  He pulled a hip-flexor early in the season and worked to get it healed so he could run.  He likes running the 800m, hurdles, relays, really just anything.
        - Me: I really enjoyed helping the middle school track team with discus and shot put.  One of the 7th grade girls broke the school record.  Scott tried to do that, but came close.  Anyway, it was going very well until one of the paid coaches (newbie this year) was telling our students to be violent, angry and violence at a meet to motivate them to throw better or harder.  Made me cringe.  Never in all my life have I heard that and couldn't believe anyone would think that was OK.  I told this coach that those words were no longer to be used.  'Really?' was the reply.  No concept of why that would be wrong.  This person didn't like that and asked their 'two bosses' who supposedly told this person that it was 'OK'.  Now really?  If you have to ask someone else if something is right or wrong, just assume right now that it is in fact wrong.  
          In order to teach children who are just beginning to learn a technique, you use a lot of repetition.  One repeats the basics the students are trying to grasp.  In discus that would be: hip first, chest up, jump out the throw, etc....  Yes, we want them to use a lot of effort, but most are so unsure of themselves that they do not have the confidence to just let it rip and give it all they have.  Besides, even in Football the players are taught skills, not violence.  We could ask the N O Saints how that's working out for them.  :)
        I was quite miserable by the end. The kids didn't need two coaches telling them what to do either.  That confuses them.  So, I did what I could and stepped back.  I figured it was best to be there supporting them even if I didn't say much.  A lot of parents can't take the time to go to the meets, so I was proxy and encouraging every chance I got.


    I had looked at possible track meets I could participate in this summer since the Badger State games had been cancelled in the fall for this summer.  Nothing worked out on a weekend I could go.  Then I got an email from the Badger State Games that they are in fact happening and on a weekend I can go!!!!  Yippeee!!  I am all registered and good to go.  I will do both Discus and Shot Put this year.  Should be a lot of fun and for Mother's Day I ordered myself a new metal rimmed discus.  It is so sweet to throw!!!!  Oh happy day!


Graduation-It was a long semester for Alexa, but she made it!  I poked and prodded her to get all her work done.  She got MOST of it done and we survived the Senior Tea, the Scholarship Awards Ceremony, the Senior Banquet, and the Senior Awards Ceremony.  She did get 3 scholarships, nothing huge, but it all helps when at school.  She got the Female School Spirit Award - voted on by her classmates.  Then surprise, surprise she received the Phy Ed Dept award.  Each department gives an award (medallion) to a senior who demonstrates high character and commitment in that department.  Alexa has really loved the Personal Fitness PE class. She apparently got perfect scores all semester.   They do real life fitness activities like walking, yoga, pilates, aerobics, things they can do for the rest of their lives.   
      Now we just have to sit through the graduation ceremony tomorrow.  I have been trying to keep my inner anger in check and remember that we sit through all these things for our child.  Blah, blah, blah is how I really feel sitting there.  I am not comfortable talking with all these people that I really don't know.  Funny story though - We (me, Fred and Alexa) went to the Senior Banquet.  We got there just as it was supposed to start and seating was very tight so we ended up sitting on a long bench-table by people we didn't know.  As we were sitting there, waiting for our turn to get in the food line, Alexa itched the back of her neck, was startled and flung her hand towards the top of the table.  She had found a wood tick crawling on her neck and flung it on the table!  Good thing there weren't plates of food on the table because the tick would have landed right in the middle of one of them!!!!   I took a tissue out of my purse, we got the critter in the tissue and thrown in the garbage.
The family sitting across from us must have thought us strange, because we handled it so matter of factly like it was no big deal.  I think that was better than making a huge scene out of it.  They were very nice and good company.


Now that the past couple of months have passed, I think I can remember my name.  It was way too busy and I will think long and hard if asked to help with track again next year.  The first thing I will do is ask who the coaches are, exactly what they expect of me and then decide.  It really was fun to help the students learn to throw and put.  I do know there won't be another Eagle Project in the middle of it.  Life will be slower, right?   I'll let you know how that works for me.   :)


Have a great start to the summer!  No is an acceptable word to use.  I am still learning that.   I will post some pictures in the next blog.


Love Ya,
Bren

No comments:

Post a Comment