One of my favorite places in the world!!!

Sunday, June 26, 2011

good day

Well,  I did it!  I got up early and made the trip to Oshkosh for the Badger State Games to compete in the Women's Discus Throw.  There were only 12 women throwing.  The hard part was knowing exactly who you were competing against.  I did not know until it was all over that there were 3 in my age group.  One lady, Lindsay, thought I was in her group; now I know she was younger than me, but she didn't.  She threw in the 30-35 age group,  I thanked her but let her know I was in the 45-49.   The results?  I placed first with a throw of 74' 8".  I was really disappointed in that distance as I know a few times in practice I had thrown real close to 100' and hit 90' pretty consistently.  The weather was great, sunny, warm-but not overly, and a perfect breeze.  I forgot the sunscreen and there was no shade for anyone there.  So. . .  4 1/2 hours in the sun and I am pretty pink.  I am actually giving off a fair amount of heat from my arms, face, and lower legs.
Here is me on the podium with my medal.  :)

This win qualifies me to go to the State Games in 2013 in Pennsylvania.  I won't go with a throw of only 74'8", but if I can get real close to 100' next year I would consider it.

The picture below is wierd.  I don't know why, but my kneecaps did not burn.  No sunscreen at all and they just have no color.  I know I scraped and cut my knees a few time growing up, but the exact same mark on both knees?

It was a good experience for me.  I will try to fit the competition into my schedule for next year.  I learned a lot about preparing and competing all over again.  It was hard to know how many warm-up throws to take, next year I will take a few more.  I won't get there quite so early and will definitely have sunscreen.  I will also compete in the shot put - might as well as long as I'm there.

Have a great week!  Good luck to all those trying something old again as something new - may you be successful in your endeavor!

Oh, yeah, we are now in high gear for preparing for the driving vacation out west - should be awesome.  Especially in the new Saturn Outlook we got on Friday.  It's not brand new, an '08, but it rides great and will make the trip that much more enjoyable.

Love ya,
Bren

No comments:

Post a Comment